Sunday, January 17, 2010

Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia



This weekend saw the 6th running of the Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia Jumping Competition at the Cambodia Country Club.

The Championship runs over three dates, 17th & 31st February and 7th January with results for each event day and the combined total of the three events deciding the overall championship riders in each division.

Clancy and I are both entered. Clancy in Pony 1 and me in Adult beginners. Clancy was having a hoot of a time being silly and clowning around in practice. He doesn’t really like jumping and there were two courses in the training arena for the little ones to choose, one with a jump and slalom and the other without a jump, but with two slalom. Clancy choose the additional slalom and did very well until the last section where he had to walk his horse (Chouchou) into a square on the ground and come to stop in front of the judges. Chouchou was a bit frisky and took of. Chouchou loves to jump so away she went over the jump at a pretty quick pace around the arena. Clancy did very well to stay on and even looked in control. It gave Clancy a good fright, some tears and a very good lesson in shortening the reins. Walking around the course with Clancy is Guillaume Lavirain the head instructor.

My event earlier in the day was on a great pony called Unique. My course was 6 jumps without the clock followed by an additional 3 timed jumps, if the first 6 jumps were cleared without fault. I cleared the 6 and posted a time of 23 seconds on the timed section (I need to check this). I won my division and I think I may have posted close to the overall best time for that course layout (I’ll check that also)! However, in typical John as I passed the finish line, I let down my guard, Unique shied and I went flying over his head landing flat on by back with the reins and the entire bridal in my hand (yanked right of Unique’s head). As I bounced I flipped straight to my legs and took a bow. The little kids loved it and I got lots of applause and back pats from impressed kids throughout the day. The trophy was worth it.

Photos:
Pony 1 Kids. Clancy Sophie and Sarah, with mum’s standing behind.
Talking Horses. NOT! Anny and Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment